Britain’s Queen Elizabeth in October 2021.
Jeff J. Mitchell | Reuters
Britain’s Queen Elizabeth will not attend the memorial service at the cenotaph on Sunday for sprained her back, Buckingham Palace said.
“Her Majesty is disappointed that she will miss the service,” said a statement from the palace.
The ceremony would have been the 95-year-old Queen’s first personal engagement as she was advised last month to rest after a night in the hospital.
The news that the Queen would not attend the service in central London, an event she views as one of the most significant engagements of the year, will heighten concerns for her health after being remembered for the longest time by the public Life has withdrawn.
A palace source said the queen’s back sprain had nothing to do with the unspecified illness that prompted her hospital visit and her doctor’s advice to rest. The source said it was an incredibly unfortunate accident.
The world’s oldest and longest-ruling monarch has missed events like the COP26 climate change conference and a Saturday night celebration to commemorate the nation’s war dead since she went to the hospital for “screening”.
The source said the queen hopes she can proceed with her schedule of light official duties next week as planned.
The Royal Family joins government, military and veterans leaders to commemorate those who lost their lives in conflict by laying wreaths at the cenotaph in central London.