In its arrest warrant for Vladimir Putin, the Worldwide Legal Court docket accused the Russian president of the battle crime of illegal deportation of individuals, specifically kids, and their illegal switch from occupied areas of Ukraine to the Russian Federation.
The ICC issued a separate warrant on the identical cost for Maria Alekseyevna Lvova-Belova, the Russian commissioner for youngsters’s rights.
Moscow dismissed Friday’s transfer, with Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov calling the allegations “outrageous”. Russia, which has denied focusing on civilians since its invasion in February final yr, has repeatedly denied its forces have dedicated atrocities and has rejected previous allegations of illegally transferring Ukrainians.
Following are some key information and figures offered by the Ukrainian authorities on the difficulty:
– Daria Herasymchuk, Advisor-Commissioner of the President of Ukraine for Kids’s Rights and Rehabilitation, described in an interview with Reuters on March 17 5 primary methods she mentioned Russia has used to illegally switch Ukrainian kids.
Providing households residing in occupied areas to take kids for holidays in Russian kids’s camps and never returning them throughout an agreed timeframe;
Aking Ukrainian kids away from care establishments in occupied areas;
Separating kids from dad and mom at filtration checkpoints – the locations the place Ukrainian residents from areas underneath Russian occupation are checked and processed earlier than being allowed to enter Russia;
Taking away parental rights by way of legal guidelines enforced on occupied territories;
Taking kids away in circumstances the place they have been staying with different adults after their dad and mom have been killed within the battle
– Ukraine’s Prosecutor Normal Andriy Kostin mentioned on March 17 the prosecutors have been investigating circumstances of deportation of over 16,000 kids from Russian-occupied areas of Donetsk, Luhansk, Kharkiv, and Kherson areas. “However the actual determine may be a lot larger,” Kostin mentioned on his Fb web page.
– Ukraine has up to now managed to return 308 kids, officers mentioned.
– Iryna Vereshchuk, minister for the reintegration of briefly occupied territories, issued a public enchantment on Saturday to Russian officers asking for lists of all Ukrainian orphans and all Ukrainian kids whose dad and mom have been stripped of parental rights who’re at present in occupied Ukrainian areas or have been illegally transferred to Russia.
– A report printed in February by the Humanitarian Analysis Lab at Yale College of Public Well being as a part of the Battle Observatory mentioned Russia has held at the very least 6,000 Ukrainian kids – possible many extra – in websites in Russian-held Crimea and Russia whose major objective seems to be political re-education. The report mentioned Yale College researchers had recognized at the very least 43 camps and different services the place Ukrainian kids have been held that have been a part of a “large-scale systematic community” operated by Moscow.
(Aside from the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV workers and is printed from a syndicated feed.)