GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) – Aliyah Boston had 22 factors and 10 rebounds, Zia Cooke scored 18 factors and top-seeded South Carolina used its smothering protection to take management within the second quarter, outlasting second-seeded Maryland 86-75 on Monday evening to succeed in its third straight Last 4.
Coach Daybreak Staley’s workforce improved to 36-0 this season with its forty second straight victory relationship to final yr’s NCAA title run. The Gamecocks at the moment are two video games away from repeating as champions and finishing the tenth undefeated season within the ladies’s recreation.
South Carolina will play Iowa and do-it-all star Caitlin Clark within the nationwide semifinals in Dallas on Friday evening.
The Gamecocks hugged and jumped when it was over. It is the fifth Last 4 since 2015, all underneath Staley. She’ll attempt for her third nationwide title subsequent week.
Boston, the 6-foot-5 senior, made 10 of 14 pictures. The three-time All-American added 5 assists and blocked two pictures.
Maryland (28-7) was routed at residence, 81-56, by the Gamecocks final Nov. 11, however performed with out injured All-American Diamond Miller.
With a wholesome Miller and an offense averaging almost 80 factors a recreation, the Terrapins have been able to tackle the large, imposing Gamecocks. Maryland pushed the tempo early, disrupting South Carolina’s No. 1 protection and was forward 21-15 as an edgy, pro-Gamecock crowd wasn’t certain what it was watching.
South Carolina did not panic. Cooke shook off an 0-for-3 begin to rating 9 factors. Boston was her regular self with 12 factors within the half because the Gamecocks outscored the Terps 23-9 within the second quarter to steer 38-30 at halftime.
Maryland obtained two fast baskets after the break to chop South Carolina’s result in 48-42. However the Gamecocks answered with a 14-3 burst to take management for good.
Miller led the Terps, searching for their first journey to the Last 4 since 2015, with 24 factors.
Maryland shot 50% for the sport, but could not maintain up down low in opposition to the Gamecocks. South Carolina outrebounded the Terps 48-26 and 25-7 on the offensive glass.
- South Carolina’s win over Maryland marks the thirty sixth victory of the season, setting a brand new program document, and incomes its third-straight Last 4 look.
- After a six-point deficit following the top of the primary quarter, the Gamecocks’ offense stepped it up within the following interval and outscored the Terrapins 23-9 on 50.0 % taking pictures.
- Aliyah Boston had her greatest recreation within the event to this point – grabbing her 82nd profession double-double after scoring 22 factors, 10 rebounds, and dispensing 5 assists…her layup midway by means of the second quarter gave the Gamecocks again the lead, the place they remained for the remainder of the sport.
- After a quiet first quarter, Zia Cooke turned on the boosters dropping 9 factors in every the second and third quarters to present herself her twenty ninth recreation in double-figures with 18 factors and eight boards.
- Brea Beal had a stat-stuffing evening, tallying a career-high six assists with three steals and two blocks, along with posting a brand new NCAA event career-high 16 factors, 13 of which coming within the ultimate quarter alone after hitting a 3 and scoring the ultimate 4 factors of the sport.