White kitchen cabinets are one of the easiest and most powerful changes you can make in your kitchen. Whether you are aiming for a full renovation or you want to do your own tinkering and save, painting cabinets white can be an incredible change!
Take a photo tour of a budget kitchen remodel with white painted kitchen cabinets, Danby marble countertops, and more. White kitchen cabinets can create a lighter, brighter, and more cheerful kitchen!
Not long ago we lived in a charming old colonial home in the Kansas City area. Okay, okay … it was 7+ years ago, but who counts? Not that girl! Can you believe we’ve been in our Tudor home in St. Louis for that long?
We have made some really incredible changes in this house and I definitely hope they have stood the test of time. View our colonial exterior colors as well as details on our hand-scraped wooden floors here.
Sometimes changes are expensive and sometimes cheaper. When it comes to remodeling projects, we all agree that color has an incredible impact.
Your kitchen is no different! I can really appreciate oak cabinets in many settings – really, you can do great things with them! Read here about lacquer colors for oak cabinets and how to modernize a kitchen with oak cabinets. However, sometimes you just need one lighter and lighter update that painting the walls alone cannot achieve.
This is where white kitchen cabinets come into play. I know it can be scary to take the plunge, so today I’m going to walk you through the pros and cons of painting kitchen cabinets white.
White kitchen cabinets
Painting cabinets white is that ultimate hack when it comes to a kitchen renovation on a budget. Is it effortless? NO. But it’s an incredible change that is far cheaper than replacing cabinets and starting from scratch.
White kitchen cabinets can evoke a variety of design styles and are a historically accurate look for many epochs of homes. When you think of a classic farmhouse, don’t you often imagine a white farmhouse kitchen? I know i do!
However, white kitchen cabinets may not be suitable for everyone. Depending on the style of your cabinets, painting cabinets white can be more of a chore than it sounds. Let’s get to know all the pros and cons of white kitchen cabinets.
Advantages and disadvantages of painting cabinets white
- Paint is inexpensive (compared to replacing cabinets of course)
- Light and bright
- Fresh, updated look
- Neutral and goes with all accent colors
- Works with a variety of styles, from farmhouse to country house, transitional, modern and traditional
- Timeless style
- Can be very maintenance-intensive – as they can discolour, have dirt, stains or scratches
- Can be harder to keep clean
- Chips and scratches can occur – choose high quality paints and hire an experienced painter
- Some people feel that white kitchen cabinets lack warmth
frequently asked Questions
Yes indeed! White kitchen cabinets are timeless and not trendy. But dark cupboards and certain surfaces of wooden cupboards are also trendy right now!
The answer is: it depends! However, for the most part, realtors suggest that high quality lacquered cabinets can add a more modern look to a kitchen, which actually gives your home resale value.
Always roll when you can’t spray! Professionals usually spray kitchen cabinets white. Read more about the best furniture paint here.
Satin paint (also called eggshell paint) is great for high-traffic areas and cleans well. However, a semi-gloss paint is recommended for cabinets instead, as it will withstand wear and moisture better.
Read more about how to choose the right color gloss.
Tips for white kitchen cabinets
If you’re thinking about painting cabinets white, here are a few tips to make the most of this change in your home!
- Get the best tips for painting decorative moldings white and furniture color here.
- You can paint without sanding, but I don’t recommend this for kitchen cabinets. They just take too much wear and tear for any short cuts.
- Use the experts at your local paint shop! They always have the best tips and suggestions in addition to the professionals you hire to do the painting at your home.
- Use a gentle natural cleaner to occasionally wipe the cabinets or clean up clutter.
We keep getting questions about the color of these farmhouse-inspired white kitchen cabinets. They are Sherwin Williams Pro Classic in un-tinted white.
For another type of paint to consider, check out ProClassic Waterborne Interior Acrylic Enamel. atsemi-glossy. It’s an enamel finish in a water-based paint. It’s easier to clean, but holds up nicely over time!