This simple recipe for a hot cheese and garlic dip only takes 10 minutes! This classic baked cheese dip is simple, flavorful and memorable with just a few minutes to touch. Cheesy and garlic-like, it’s the perfect starter to share.
Filled with fragrant, chopped fresh herbs and creamy and rich Fontina cheese, this is a dip that you will love! It’s perfect for the holidays or anytime you’re entertaining guests.
This post was originally shared on February 17, 2014 and updated with new photos and content on December 9, 2021.
I am a huge dips fan. Did you notice? They’re a crowd-pleaser and often quick to make. One of my favorite cheese dip recipes is the Barefoot Contessa baked fontina that she shared years ago.
I’ve adapted it to our tastes over time and it’s still just as delicious after all these years!
With just five minutes to touch, this recipe tastes anything but last-minute. Fresh ingredients make a spicy dip that comes straight from the oven to the table. Unless we’re more than four, I’ve cut this recipe in half.
It doesn’t take long to prepare, but if you want, you can prep all of the ingredients before your guests arrive and then just put it in the oven before you’re ready to serve. It’s decadent and delicious!
Are you ready? I know I am!
Why you will love this garlic dip
- So easy to do
- Fresh ingredients
- Crowd favorite
Ingredients for the garlic and cheese dip
Start with fresh ingredients. The freshest ingredients offer full flavors.
- Fontina cheese – You can replace it with Provolone, Gruyere, and Gouda if you want.
- Olive oil: Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Garlic cloves – hacked. Here is a full list of garlic conversions and the easiest techniques for peeling and chopping garlic.
- Thyme and Rosemary: Fresh from the stick.
- Salt and pepper: Freshly cracked
How to Make This Hot Cheese Dip Recipe
It really doesn’t take long to turn this audience into an engaging starter.
- Preheat the grill and place the grid 5 ″ from above.
- Remove the bark and the cube fontina. Place in your baking dish.
- Pour oil over Fontina. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Grill for 6 minutes, watching carefully until it bubbles.
What to serve with a hot cheese dip?
This dip is meant for a crowd and I love to serve it with a variety of “dippers”:
frequently asked Questions
It’s creamy and bland with a touch of sweetness and nuttiness, and when it’s melted it’s so perfectly sticky and perfect for dipping.
Fontina cheese melts incredibly well, making it ideal for this starter. If you can’t find Fontina, Provolone and Gruyere are good substitutes.
- Use the freshest, highest quality ingredients for this recipe.
- Be sure to remove the rind from the cheese.
- Watch it carefully while you bake it so you don’t cook it for too long.
- Serve at the table immediately.
Scale up, scale down or replace? You will love this printable measurement conversion chart!
- Dice your cheese the day before serving.
- Bring your cheese to room temperature before grilling and melting.
- Nut free
- Gluten free
How to save
- Room temperature – This garlic dip can stand for up to two hours when serving.
- Refrigerate – In an airtight container for up to four days after serving.
- freezer – Don’t freeze this cheesy garlic dip. It separates after freezing.
Are you in the mood for simpler recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club and get great recipes straight to your inbox every week!
I would love to hear from you! What’s your favorite party starter?
More recipes for cheese starters
Did you do this? Rate the recipe and tag me on social @julieblanner!
Prevent your screen from going dark
Place the oven rack 5 “from the top. Preheat the grill.
Put the Fontina in a baking dish.
Pour oil over the cheese and add the remaining ingredients.
Grill for 6 minutes, watching carefully until it bubbles.
Take out of the oven and serve bubbly hot.
- Since there are few ingredients, use fresh, high quality ingredients.
- Remove the rind from the cheese.
- Watch it carefully as it grills so you don’t cook it for too long.
- Serve immediately.
- Serve with crostini, vegetables or water crackers.
Calories: 200kcal (10%), Carbohydrates: 1G, Protein: 9G (18%), Fat: 18thG (28%), Saturated fatty acids: 8thG (40%), Polyunsaturated fat: 1G, Monounsaturated fatty acids: 8thG, Cholesterol: 41mg (14%), Sodium: 357mg (fifteen%), Potassium: 29mg (1%), Fiber: 1G (4%), Sugar: 1G (1%), Vitamin A: 336IE (7%), Vitamin C: 1mg (1%), Calcium: 198mg (20%), Iron: 1mg (6%)
The estimated nutritional information is provided as a gesture of goodwill and cannot be guaranteed.