While the world has been captivated by Elizabeth Holmes ‘trial, the world of digital health startup has not given up Theranos’ original dream: convenient, accessible, and inexpensive blood tests available at retail locations across the community.
In today’s HIMSSCast, moderator Jonah Comstock contacts David Stein, CEO of Babson Diagnostics. The company has developed a low volume blood test that can be done without a phlebotomist and that can perform a large number of frequently asked diagnoses. Jonah and David discuss why this technology is important, how it works, and what it’s like to operate in this area when the wounds of the Theranos scandal are fresh.
Do you like what you hear? Subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Play!
- Babson’s playing field (and the elephant in the room).
- Perform accessible blood tests “without cheats”.
- Partnerships with retailers, Siemens and BD.
- Renewing the blood draw yourself and why it is important.
- Innovation in the logistics of the testing industry.
- A win-win situation for consumers, payers, providers and retailers.
- How easily consumer blood tests fit into other virtual care trends.
- The Impact of the Theranos Scandal on the Blood Testing Industry.
- How Babson approaches innovation on a large scale.
- Consumer blood tests and health equity.
- Help people take their health into their own hands.
- Integration of point solutions into a healthcare ecosystem.
More about this episode:
Theranos Whistleblower Talks Ethics in Health Technology Startups
Time for Innovation in Blood Test Technology (from Babson’s website)
“Omnichannel” is the new buzzword when Big Tech takes retail seriously with healthcare
Blood testing start-up partners with Israel’s Sheba Medical Center to support COVID-19 quarantine efforts